26 y/o looking for advice on what to do with earnings

bleedingknight

Hi all, I'm a 26 year old earning a gross wage of 45k. My aim is to eventually buy a house, and long term I'd like to retire early, or at least go on job share for at least ten years before retirement.

Currently, I have just over 38k in savings, but I am not in a position to buy a house just yet - although planning to within the next 5 years. I should hit 50k in savings in the next two years.

I have recently started investing in ETFs on Degiro, and invest around €300-€400 per month.

I do have a pension as part of my job, but since I started work post 2013 I know I'm at a slight disadvantage regarding my pension.

My question is, should I start prioritising investing in AVCs? Or should I stay with investing in ETFs, despite the amount of tax I'll have to pay.

Thanks in advance!

@startupchristian What does ‘max out on pension’ mean, allocate maximum percentage allowed for the age group? I am in a similar situation as OP except the savings. Don’t have much saved till now hoping to be serious with my money this year.

@bleedingknight Why do you say your pension is at a disadvantage? Just curious.

I'd start upping the pension to max. I'd certainly max that out before investing that quantity in degiro.

@hkdr Because I started my job post 2011 I don't have the same entitlements as colleagues who started their job before 2011! At least that's as far as I'm aware!

@bleedingknight Ah I see. You're a teacher then I take it. All I know is teachers pensions are complex, I'd dicuss things with a FA if you can. I think cornmarket do a lot of work with teachers.