22 y.o. seeking advice on buying/registering/insuring a new car

vegdar

I am currently in school and plan on being in NC for at least 2 more years(originally from NY). I was recently involved in an at-fault accident that totaled my car within the last year and plan on buying another car in the next 3 weeks back home in NY. My original plan was buying, registering, and insuring the new car in NY and driving it down to NC since I already have a NY license. However, I may consider the option of registering and insuring the car in NC since I will be spending over 90% of my time down there.

Please help me with a few questions:

Is switching to NC insurance going to be much cheaper and approximately how much cheaper?

Do I have to switch my NY license to a NC one to get insurance there?

Is there any way I can register the car in NY and insure it in NC?

If I decide to buy the car in NY and eventually switch my registration and insurance to NC, is there a better option than registering and insuring the car in NY then switching license, registration, and insurance over to NC after I come back from the 3 week break? How will that work in terms of state car taxes and registration fees?

Thank you for your help!

@vegdar You have to get a NC license.

You have to insure the car in NC.

You will have to register the car in NC.

I do believe it will be cheaper to insure the car in NC vs. NY.

Impossible to say how much cheaper it’ll be. An insurance agent can tell you this.

Now, there may be some different rules if you’re a student or something. I moved to NC two years ago and for me the above is what I learned, but I’m not a student.

I would also plan on your rates going up due to the recent accident.

@vegdar The insurance company doesn’t care where the car is registered they care about the primary garaging location. If you get insurance when you are in ny set that as the primary and then when you move just call them and tell them you moved and the primary garaging location has changed.