@sadmamacat Using the stark recommended calculator to find your limit in the bounds of the mortgage credit, then just filing etax using xml import of the non-one-stop, unless the MTG credit impacts your limit significantly, then one stop may offer more return.

@mototothemax I was asking in the other thread about the best low-effort no-limit cashback deal this year. After a bit of research it looks like it's the Furunavi points back program + Amazon Pay. Furunavi advertises 20%, but that's not unlimited -- 8% of that is only on the first ~45K yen donated (3600 points max), and the remaining 12% is only if you donate through some specific products like travel coupons, etc. The cashback on regular donations goes up to 8% back in points when paying through Amazon or some other services. Combining this with the Amazon Pay 3% program, you get:
  • 8% back from Furunavi
  • 3% back for using Amazon Pay gift cards (with Prime)
  • 0.5% from Amazon for charging the gift card by credit card
  • whatever your credit card gives as cashback, let's say typically 1%
That's a total of 12.5% back, not too bad. (It looks like you can use an Amazon card to charge the gift cards for another 1% on top)

I usually use Furusato Choice but this year their end-of-year deal is disappointing (donate X to get a chance to win Y... no thank you).

@mototothemax Any tips for high-earners (annual earnings > 1億円) using FN? Do any donation limits (beyond temporary income tax) kick in after a certain level? Any big-ticket FN items you found to be worthwhile?

@toni123 Bunch of resorts (like Hoshinoya, Hiramatsu resort etc) can be worthwhile if you like. Otherwise just go on one of the websites and sort by price.

@mototothemax If I already submitted a year-end adjustment through my company with no furusato nozei declared, can I still try out furusato nozei before the end of the year? Or would there be no point considering I've already submitted my tax-adjustments?

@awretchlikeme Furusato Nozei is not declared through your end of the year adjustment papers in any case. If you’re eligible for the one-stop reporting, then you can do it that way. Otherwise, you’ll have to file a final tax return. You’re eligible for one-stop if you donate to fewer than 5 municipalities and you don’t have to file your own taxes (like if you make over 20 million yen, or if you have two employers). Please check about how the one-stop system works.

@mototothemax Trying out Furusato Nozei for the first time this year and I think I have my head around it, however...
  • Can anyone confirm that if you use the new one-stop online system (with the IAM app or the My Page site apparently?) with a participating municipality, you can submit all required documents without having to wait for anything in the post? Going to be away for the Jan 10 one-stop postal deadline so the one-stop online system appeals, but don't want to end up out of pocket if it doesn't work...
For my spouse (salaried employee) I think the options are:
  • No tax return -> one stop -> participating municipality -> online submission (My Page) -> goodies
For myself (freelance), I think the options are:
  • Tax return -> normal payment -> any municipality -> consolidated donations file (My Page) for tax return -> goodies
They sure make you work for your freebies 😂

@louies777
you can submit all required documents without having to wait for anything in the post?

Yes.

don't want to end up out of pocket if it doesn't work

FWIW, if something goes wrong and your one-stop applications are unsuccessful, you can always file an income tax return at a later date to claim the donations, so you shouldn't end up out-of-pocket in any case.

@kristhuy When I bought my items, my name was in katakana but now it wont recognize the donations because on my mynumber, it's in English - does this mean I need to file a tax return since one-stop isn't recognizing the name correctly?

Or can each municipality (if emailed) change my name from Katakana to English if requested?