2022 Financial Review - How was your year?

taylorjr94

Every company prepares some financial statements (as part of regular financial discipline), we should do one for ourselves.

How was 2022 for you?

Let's structure it in terms of broad investment categories, and then in terms of P&L

Example :

A. Equities (Stock Market) (excluding REITS. We'll talk about that under Real Estate)

How did your equities perform? What good buys, what bad buys?

You can further subdivide your performance on local vs foreign shares. Did you dabble in US or SG shares this year?

B. Bond/Debt Instruments/Fixed Deposits/Cash

Any good deals for FD? Managed to special deals? Those in Singapore, did you hop on the SSB craze?

C. Real Estate (excluding primary residences) & REITS

Any big buys, any big sales? How was your property's tenancy? How was the interest rate increase for you?

Any good REIT buys? Exposure to MREITS or SREITS, or HK REITS or US REITS?

D. Alternative investments (Crypto/watches/art)

E. Incomes & Cashflow

In this section we review your incomes, your side hustles, your cashflow. How did you do here? Did you get a promotion, or start a business, or closed it? Did you need to feed or support certain bad investments?

F. Mistakes

Everyone makes mistakes. It's okay to review what we fucked up on.

I'll start.

A. Equities (Stock Market) (excluding REITS. We'll talk about that under Real Estate)

Malaysia stocks

Equities went sideways this year for me. I went big on banks and dividends-stocks, so I benefited from the interest rate rises.

However, I fucked up when I took on larger exposures in Tenaga, Supermax, and Topglove.

US Stocks

US was a flat clusterfuck for me. I'm down 60% for my US portfolio.

B. Bond/Debt Instruments/Fixed Deposits/Cash

Nothing much here. I kept my FDs, but interest rates for 2022 was crap. I'm thinking of moving some monies into SGD FD, because SG FDs are at 4%

C. Real Estate (excluding primary residences) & REITS

I didn't buy any real estate for investment, but I'm probably looking for one in 2023.

D. Alternative investments (Crypto/watches/art)

I'm just watching my doge's value go sideways. 1 doge = 1doge. lol. On a sidenote. I'd be looking at BTC seriously once it drops to USD12.5k. A part of me believes the current prices are already a great entry point, but uh... I'll be honest, I'm not super convinced on crypto as a use case. I'm actually looking for AI-focused companies instead. Those seem a lot more fascinating.

E. Incomes & Cashflow

Pretty much same as last year, except for a few one offs from my side hustles. Those side hustles paid for my holiday. Hoping to grow it.

F. Mistakes

I love talking about mistakes.

Here's my big ones :
  1. I didn't have the conviction to hold my TESLA puts. I should've.
  2. I didn't have the conviction to hold my long-dated SPY puts.
  3. I told myself that SGD would go up. I didn't move my money into SGD. Silly me.
  4. I told myself maybank would go up early this year. Should've converted my FDs to Maybank shares. Too pussy to do it.
  5. I locked in too many 12-month FDs, and lost out on higher interests in the later part of the year.

@taylorjr94 I’ll summarise mine. Fucked in the crypto with 80% loss but still holding. Should just kept it in ASNB or Tabung Haji.

Well atleast my wife just got promoted so she is now earning way more than me and she just bought her first car which is nice. I’ll just sit tight and be her driver and work my ass off licking my bosses 8-5 6 days a week. Can’t wait for 2023

@taylorjr94
  1. 80% of my portfolio is in US tech stocks. Enough said 😂
  2. 10% in BTC and ETH. Got in at 49k USD price. Enough said.
  3. Considering buying Maybank or PBB shares. Looking into sportstoto too. Have yet to pull the trigger.

@taylorjr94 A. Started getting into stocks this year. Suffered some losses but nothing I can’t handle. Majority in VOO and some Apple.

B. Majority of my cash is in SSB as I’m hoping to get an investment property in M’sia next year.

C. Trying to get my first property next year.

D. Bought a Chanel bag at a really discounted price (i know someone who works in Chanel) worth almost 3-4x I paid for. Planning to get one Chanel bag every year, seeing that the value is increasing annually.

E. Switched to a job with a 20% increase. Side hustle income increased, hoping to expand the business a little more next year.

F. Didn’t DCA consistently. 🥲

Hoping that everyone hits their 2023 financial goals. 💪

@iamnewinchrist I’ve been doing this side hustle since I was in uni. It’s easier to expand now since I’m not too focused on studying. My side hustle actually gives me joy, unlike my job, so I’ve been thinking if it’s possible to do this full time to replace my main income. Still a ways to go but definitely considering to expand it.
Have a great 2023 too!

@taylorjr94
  1. Equities
MY - Sold DNEX (haih), hold MBB at low price

US - S&P 500 at quite low price, looking to top up for $MSFT and $APPL

2. Cash (Increased FD)

high interest rate attracts me

3. Others

Crypto - down 20%, exited the market. Gonna short it

Stashaway investment portfolio - down 12%, they are high on China

4. Mistake

didn't take the initiative to learn about the inflation. missed out some opportunities

5. Hope in 2023

Increase investments in diff industry and more exposure

happy new year all !!!