@pinbackbsc04
do I just add my total gains from crypto to the first field (income)?

The first field isn't "income", it's "employment income" (給与収入). Employment income is taxed differently to miscellaneous income, so adding them together won't give the correct result.

You need to use a calculator that allows for miscellaneous income, such as this one by Rakuten.

@kristhuy does the Rakuten one return correct numbers?

It's giving me different numbers (smaller by about 30000 yen) from all the other simulators and the other simulators seem to have worked correctly in terms of what's been deducted from my residence taxes for the last few years.

@mototothemax I figured this question doesn't deserve a new thread, so I'll ask here: what are you guys planning on buying?

I'm a boring person--might do a bit of wagyu followed by way too much rice.

@pinbackbsc04 The most interesting one I got this year was a new printer, a nice little Epson Colorio that is proving itself handy now that it's Christmas card and nengajo season.

@mototothemax When registering for furasato nozei on some sites (e.g. PayPay), I'm unable to write my middle name due to character limits. Will this matter when I try to claim tax benefits or is this simply for the service and will not be transmitted to tax authorities?

@abbuke Ah, I see. I use Furusato Choice and haven’t had that issue with name length. They don’t allow spaces either and running first and middle together has been no issue for me come tax time.

@resjudicata The Furusato donations you make in 2021 are a tax credit for 2021 residence taxes (which are payable in 2022). So if you earned income in 2021, then you can do FN this year.