2020 Goals: Beginner, Intermediate, Expert

ema04

Full Post containing all the juicy details.

This is a limited/starter list, targeted towards the casual financial individual. Please feel free to add more and/or debate.

Beginners Goals for 2020​

Start a budget. A budget is the single-most important personal finance tool. It gives you knowledge of where your dollars are going. It provides you with a way to measure your personal finance. And measurement is needed before management (a.k.a. improvement) can begin. If you need ideas, I wrote an entire article using experts’ opinions on how they budget.

Create an emergency fund. What happens if the furnace breaks in mid-February? What happens if you get laid off and need a few months’ expenses to get back on your feet? These are scary questions. While there are a few different ways to prepare, the most important one is to create an emergency fund.

Plan to pay that credit card debt. A lot of us are in some form of debt…student loans, mortgages, car payments. But the most insidious form is credit card debt, because it has such a high interest rate. “Interest” means that you are burning up your money–although sometimes it can be for good reasons (e.g. further education, or a place to live).

Intermediate Goals for 2020​

Take full advantage of your employer’s retirement savings program. For most of you reading from the U.S.A., this would be your 401(k). But some employers use other programs, such as a 403(b), IRAs, Thrift Savings Plans, or 457s. Internationally, there are similar government-sponsored and employer-sponsored plans.

In short, all of these programs offer either a tax-advantage, an employer contribution, or both.

Re-consider your spending. This is something that anyone could do. But since you already have some of the financial basics locked down, this is an easy next step. If you go back to 2019, you could probably pick out some purchases that now seem pretty worthless. What could you do different in 2020 to prevent those worthless purchases?

Expert Goals for 2020​

Understand your portfolio. You might have money in a bank account, a retirement plan, in company stock options, in home-ownership equity…the list goes on. And within those various locations, there can be sub-categories. Where is your retirement account invested? In stocks, in bonds, or a REIT?

Outside education. This was a huge step for me. How often do you seek out knowledge when you’re confused about your personal finances?

@ema04 Pretty awesome list! I'm gonna add few things that get asked around regarding investment, and I usually answer the same for similar questions. So here goes....

Before you start investing this and that, there's something else you need to learn that is more important than investing, and that's yourself. You need to learn to control your emotion. What I mean by that is when the stock price fall, you can't panic, fear, and just sell your shares. You can't let your emotion of fear dedicate your decision. Also, you need to be patience. If you are hasty you can miss out on important information that may impact your portfolio. You need to able to have faith in your investment even though they may be in negative. But most importantly you need to study and research your investment thoroughly. What's going around the world that can impact your investment (for better or worse)? What can happen in the world that can impact your investment (for better or worse)? If you have done your study and research, and you purchased your investment, then you should be confident in your investments even when the stock is not doing well.

Second: stock market will crash eventually. It will happen, over and over. But, they will always recover, and they will break new record every. Single. Time. Yes, not every single company is gonna make it, but majority of the companies will. This is why you need to understand what you're investing. For example when market crash happen, Microsoft will crash. Disney will crash. Apple will crash. Amazon will crash. But they will recover because of what these companies represent, and their foothold in the world. Like I said over and over, you have to study and research the company in your investment. That's why I personally believe studying and researching the investment is the most important job because you're trying to build strong portfolio that can withstand the crash, and thrive afterward to break new records. When the market crash, think of it as “Black Friday sale”, and buy more investment if you can.

Third: don't be persuade by what the social media, news, or people around you are saying. They can't predict the future, but you can research and see what is going around the world that can impact your portfolio. You're gonna see a lot of articles and authors who will write about "stock market crash" over and over again. Read why they think it's gonna crash, and research their claim, and see if you think the stock is gonna crash. But.... [read the next advise]

Fourth: time in the market will beat timing the market for most investors. You are more likely to lose trying to time the market than if you were in the market. This especially applies to investors who has decades to retire. Like mention before, market is gonna crash, but they will recover. When you think market is crashing, it can be just a dip that happened just for a month, and market can just bounce right back. If your portfolio is build around strong company that pays dividend, then you will likely to still getting pay through dividend.

Fifth: if you don't feel comfortable investing with large amount of money, start with $100. Get your emotion use to the feeling of stock market going up and down. This will help you control your emotion to some degree. You will develop the "numb" feeling for when stock is going down, so you won't necessary panic and just easily persuade by what people tell you to do. Also get experience in meanwhile. When you feel comfortable and confident, invest $200, $300, and so on until you feel completely good about investing in thousands of dollar.

Last, and this may sound contradicting, know when to cut your loss. This comes from knowing what the company is going through. For example, if the company is going down from lawsuit, or legal issue, or whatever it is that will bankrupt the company, it's best to cut your loss and move on. Again, this is why you want to study and research your investment. Check if they have a records of lawsuit that they seem to unable to grow. See if there's law that's gonna change the fundamental of the company. Etc, etc, etc.

If anyone is interested in playlist [click here] for a basic introduction to investment that covers online brokerage (which you need, and you want to pick the one that may benefit you the most based on what they offer in investment/retirement accounts), basic introduction to investment/retirement accounts (there are different accounts that you may not be qualify), and basic introduction to stock, ETF, Mutual Fund, and Bond.

Good luck, and invest wisely.

@ema04 My question regarding Intermediate to Expert is that when I look up educational sources they often restate the same “basic” knowledge.
Can someone suggest a financial expert or books I can read to go beyond intermediate? Thanks

@resjudicata Fair enough. I can say that I have a tough time giving universal advice that isn’t also very basic.

Check out a couple of these books.

I especially recommend Bogleheads Guide and Random Walk Down Wall Street.