20 Y.O - TD E-series vs ETFs for TFSA?

@phroderick For the Lower Fee and Higher Fee you could use the MERs from the reddit comment.

For example, VGRO has 0.22% management fee (most likely 0.22%-0.24% MER) with a allocation of 24%:30%:26%:20% = Can:US:Intl:Bonds ratio. If we recreate such a portoflio with 5 funds, say, ZDB,ZCN,XUU,VEE and VIU using the same Can:US:Intl:Bonds allocation, the average weighted MER for such portfolio would be 0.125%.

For the rate of return you could use the this CPM video but add back the .24%management fee. For example the rate for VGRO (or XGRO) would be about 4.5% + .24% = 4.74%.

@asmodea Thank you for taking the extra effort by sharing the video!

> For example the rate for VGRO (or XGRO) would be about 4.5% + .24% = 4.74%.

Why are we adding the management fee back though? Shouldn't it be subtracting the management fee since it's part of the MER.

So for example, if VGRO returns 4.5% annually, and the management fee is .24% with an MER of .25%; we could do 4.5% - 2.4%?

@phroderick When you enter the rate of return for the fee difference calculator you want to enter the rate of return of the assets in the portfolio before the management fees are subtracted. The rates near the end of the CPM article are after the management fees have been subtracted so I add them back in.

@asmodea Oh and lastly! Just to double check I'm not crazy....

The book Millionaire Teacher and The Value of Simple mentioned about rebalancing atleast once a year.

We shouldn't time the market and only rebalance once a year, correct?

For example, if the market will crash in Jan 2022- December 2023. We could rebalance at March 2022 or December 2022. The stock prices are the highest in price in March 2022 compared to December 2022 because the market continuously goes down in value.

My notion is that we could take advantage by waiting for the market to dip more to buy more ETFs and then re-balance. This way, we could use more of our TFSA//RRSP contribution room to buy more ETFs (i.e; 100 shares in December 2022 will be much cheaper than March 2022). With a non-registered account, I don't think it matters since you can contribute any time and rebalance any time.

But using this notion... we are trying to outperform the market and it goes against what the books are trying to convey. So I'm not entirely sure when I should rebalance.

@phroderick Three common ways to rebalance are:

1/ Do it robotically on the same day every year.

2/ When you are adding new money calculate how much of each asset to buy to get every thing back to target.
(Or just the buy the asset that is most below the target.)

3/ Only rebalance when you notice that one of the assets is off by X%.

Behavioural finance research would favour the first option because the more an investor is thinking about asset allocation the more likely they are to start messing with it.

Which brings me back to the original suggestions I made.

If you use the e-series hybrid I suggest that each time you contribute you use the same ratios to determine how much of each fund you will buy. Then let your calendar, not the asset allocation of the account, tell you when it is time to sell the mutual funds and buy the asset allocation ETF.

If you are just going to buy ETFs I suggest that you buy a risk appropriate asset allocation ETF and if possible use PACC. If PACC isn't a viable option (eg. if the amount you are contributing varies too much) you could instead set up automatic contributions to the account and use Passiv Elite to remind you to make a "one click purchase" as soon as money hits your account. Questrade currently pays for one year of Passiv Elite. (And hopefully they will make this a long term perk.)

The Value of Simple is remarkable among the PFC books I have read because it advises that you write an investment plan. I don't remember all of the items that John suggests that you include in a plan but I suggest that it includes your goals, time frame, asset allocation, your contribution plan and your expected long term and "worst case scenario" returns This CPP page, and this CPM video will help you to define your expectations. You should reevaluate your plan annually and when there are major life change.

@asmodea Awesome, thank you so much for the detailed response! I plan to use all of John's spreadsheets before putting any money in! Appreciate all the help again!