$15,000 credit card debt at 21yrs old

@mishka333 It's crazy how much alcohol can rack up expense. My monthly total for alcohol at one point (grocery and dining out) was over $200. It's saves a massive amount if you quit drinking.

Also, drinking causes you to make poor eating and other buying decisions. Drunk and don't want to cook the food you planned out and bought from grocery store? Just order $12 - $20 Chinese, pizza, take out, etc...

@jacobian monthly income is about 3000k a month. i’m not renting. i have a few other months expenses tho that i can’t get rid of. they are necessities.

@pam4him I got in a similar situation during grad school. I went to my bank and took out a personal loan with the understanding that I was closing the credit card account (which I did). Personal loans have far lower interest rates, a defined term, and a defined monthly payment - just like a car loan. Having a definite date for when the debt would be lifted was very reassuring. It felt a little risky, in that closing the credit card meant I had no room for dealing with emergencies, but I had to take the chance. 3 years later, the debt was gone, my credit survived, and I was better off for it.

@pam4him call your bank. tell them they either allow you to pay it back at a lower rate or you're going bankrupt and they'll get nothing from you. you would be surprised at how effective this is.

if you can work out a payment plan, stick to it and stop using your credit card for anything. $15,000 is a lot of money but it's definitely not too late to fix. acknowledging it is a good first step that a lot of people seem to miss.

@mishka333 I did this to a few of my accounts, all it does is close them out if you choose the option of reducing your monthly payment, interest rate, and closure of the account. It will effect your utilization, account amount aka lines of credit, and account history.

Bankruptcy is a whole other ball game, same with debt settlement. All debt settlement does is get you into a mess with the IRS because the difference of money you agree to settle on, gets taxed on as income.

For example, you have 15k debt, but settle it for $7.5k. The other 7.5k gets absolved but it will count as taxable income.

What I did, is call them, say that you’re considering bankruptcy, but trying to avoid it. They’ll give you “hardship options”

My one account: 0% interest, $120 a month for 5 years.

My other account: 9% interest, $148 a month for 4 years.