1099-C Ally Financial

@spodo Look what I found

May 2009, GMAC Bank was rebranded as Ally Bank. In May 2010, GMAC re-branded itself as Ally Financial. In September 2010, the company sold its resort finance business to Centerbridge Partners

@spodo I received one and I called on 2/5/24. I spoke to someone named Lauren and I’m sure that’s not her real name. I gave her the account number that was on the form. She said she couldn’t find my information she put me a hold came back and she said after consulting with her supervisor to disregard the 1099 C form and she hung up. So after being on hold for like an hour and some change, but IRS I spoke to someone in the account management what these companies do is hold on to the balance, let it build up enough and then write it off. But I need to find someone to complain about this because GMC sent me at 1099 last year now they sending me another one under Ally. These are account over 10 years

@rolandh I’d just call them- and have them verify the debt is legit. I never received a single collections letter and then received this 16 years later. If you got a 1099-C that means it has been reported to the e IRS already and you are obligated to claim the amount as income and pay taxes on it (if it’s valid).

@quake Yes just call that number between time stated. Prob not helpful though lol all they really tell you is it is car debt either your own or you cosigned? So might want to skip out on it.

@spodo Same thing has happened to me from ally financial INC for 16,338.87 I cannot get ahold of anyone just says all lines are busy and my est.wait time is 30sec!! I've waited on hold 1hr two days in a row but no one answers, it says enter ur account number or social, I don't have an account number so I entered my social,my fiance thinks this 1099c maybe a scam for identity theft ,but I entered my social two days in a row now so I pray to God it's not!!! No one ever answer's tho

@spodo I received a 1099-c form (Cancellation of Debt) from Ally. Never financed anything with them but did have one car through GMAC... the only repo I had I paid the charges got it back and I paid it until I traded it in 20 years ago...tried calling and was on hold forever a couple times and then gave up

@spodo Ally Financial 1099-C TAXES

SHARING IS CARING......So I got the same thing in the mail from the same company Ally. I did HOURS of research on this and this reddit thread was really all I could find. So I wanted to come back and share with everyone here or anyone else that may find themselves in this situation. It's always a great idea to talk to other people because one of their comments could spark a thought and then the magic happens!!! So I did some digging, and anyone can go onto the IRS website right now and download and print a copy of a 1099-C. Also on their website they go into great detail all about 1099's and what they are for, etc. It also has 6 pages of instructions about filling the form out. On page 3 of those instructions it says

CAUTION The creditor's phone number must be provided in the creditor's information box. It should be a central number for all canceled debts at which a person may be reached who will ensure the debtor is connected with the correct department.

That is directly from the IRS website. I don't know about any of you but on the paper I received it does not list a phone number in that box!! So this is why I made the statement above. I was telling my BFF about this and I made the comment "They sold my debt to a collection agency, I don't forsee them buying it back!" She was like wait what did you say? I don't think it is legal for them to file a 1099-C on you if they sold the debt to someone else!

Just something to think about! I have been scammed out of $1,800 12 years ago when my daughter was first born. So I am on high alert when it comes to things like this. I spoke with the IRS, just got off the phone with them, and they did not find anywhere that any company had file a 1099-C against me. If you choose to maybe go read about this on the IRS website. Also one last thing you can also go to the attorney general's website and find a list of scams that they are aware of. You can report scams there also. Their phone number is 1-800-441-2555. Considering that noone has got anyone to answer the number that is listed on the top of the page, I'm not really sure what exactly they could have got out of this. So maybe someone had already been aware of the scam and shut it down??? If you would have reached someone there's a possibility they could have lied to you and got personal information out of you. They make it look legit enough that you don't question it, unless you have been scammed out of money. Hopefully this is helpful!!!

*EDIT* *EDIT* *EDIT* *EDIT\*

I just wanted to come back and let everyone know that I spoke with an agent at the IRS. This took patience ALOT on my part because 1. I didn't know what option to choose from the menu. 2. I had to repeat a summary I think twice before I spoke with the agent. 3. There was a language barrier. She placed me on hold 2 times to look into the information I gave her. I don't think I stated this before, but the company or creditor that cancelled the debt is to file a 1099-C with the IRS and then notify you the person that borrowed the money. If it is done legally and legit, when you call the IRS they can look up the info and find the one that the creditor has filed and therefore verify it for you. Never the less, she found nothing!! So it just goes to show that someone/some company is trying to scam people. However from the comments it seems that no one has been able to get in contact with "Ally". So I am not sure exactly how anyone could have been scammed, unless an individual does get in touch with them and they threaten legal action and scares the individual and they make a payment over the phone. I just wanted to let everyone know what I found out!!!