@oneiric1975
100k combined income

Track your net worth instead (assets minus liabilities).
And work on improving it every month. Even if you have 100k income, but spend all of it, that means you would increase your net worth by zero for that month.

Make increasing your net worth by x pesos a monthly challenge.

@marysmith89 Hi have a question, what do you think of double entry for personal finance tracking instead of single entry - income vs expense? I think i want to migrate my data from single entry to double entry

@freddiealgon I don't track expenses.

What I track is my net worth once a month, where I add the amounts in my accounts, investments, etc and then subtract any liabilities (loans, etc). And then I compare this month's net worth with the previous month.

@oneiric1975 I agree. Pahirap na nang pahirap even for us na medyo nasa bigger income bracket. Husband and I have combined 150k monthly income net. Pero ganun, wala pa rin masyadong savings but we are both enjoying our married life as childless couple. Couldn't imagine how difficult it would be when the time comes na there's a kid running na.

For groceries, we like to buy in bulk initially para may stock then as we go on with the month, bili bili nalang pa onti-onti nga mga fresh grocery items sa supermarket near us. Plus points for convenience talaga if maganda location nang tinitirahan nyo. In a week, we eat out once or twice kasi weekends lang kami nagkikita since his work entails him to be in Pampanga on weekdays. Tipid din sa kuryente kasi if it's just me at home, no aircon unless mainit na mainit na talaga. Hangga't kaya ng electric fan, electric fan. Haha! Sa aming dalawa, ako nag pinaka kuripot. If you can get the same item at a cheaper price then go for the cheaper price.

As long as wala kayong utang, life is good -- for me.

@oneiric1975 120k net kami. pero nakakapag save kami ng 50k every month. no car, no debt. wala ding gala. kain sa labas lng minsan. my hinuhulugan din na 16k a month na bahay. Siguro kailangang mamuhay ng simple lalo ang mahal ng bilihin.

@oneiric1975 our combined net income is 140k. can even afford buying a car. with three kids 1 sr high, 1 jr high and 1 in middle school, life insurance for most of us, although we indulge in what we want but still. it's crazy to think that even a second hand car about 1m would leave us second guessing buying a car.

@franki Maybe you can afford a car but having 3 kids all high schoolers and 2 about to enter college? Maybe you can't really afford it with a 140k net, sobrang mahal maintenance ng car. Unless sa state u magcollege ang kids nyo.

@franki Interested to see how your finances look. We have the same net income, but have a 9yr old and a 2yr old.

I can't even buy a car, because it will eat up the 30% saving we put away. How do you manage and how do you save

@oneiric1975
Ang hirap gumapang pataas pag ambilis at anlakas ng humihila sau pababa.

Ang sakit OP haha. There's this piece of land na gusto kong bilhin bago mag pandemic. It was 1.8m back then. Sadly, puro cash lang ang bentahan sa area doon. Nung nakaipon na ko pang bili, nagtaas na presyo. Naging 2.1m na siya ngayon. Ayun, sana makabili pa ko ng bahay o lupa ko eventually sa isang decent na neighborhood. Sana mahabol ko pa huhuhu o kaya bawi na lang sa next life

@sophiew41 To add:

Net worth mentality means tracking your net worth (accumulated money, investments minus debt).

Even if you have a salary of 100k, if you spend all of it, you would end up with zero... and you would still be poor.

Track your net worth and compare versus your goals (ex: how much you need when you retire).

@dariusc93 Being "rich" is a function of income, being "wealthy" is a function of net worth. You can be either, or both. A lot of people here want to get rich first before they build up they're wealth. Good luck with that