1.5% 401k contribution if i contribute 6% is that even worth it?

carlosg

So i got a new job and was offered an ability to contribute to a 401k. Along with that its been explained that if i leave the company within 2 years all company contributions are taken back and not given to me. Should i just invest on my own in a roth IRA? Or just take the free 1.5% on 6%. I will say the money would be better used to pay off my debt. But im not sure. Any advice would be helpful thanks!

@eishtmo Plans change. I’d take the bird in the hand. 2 years goes by quick the older you are, and if they leave before 2 years, they still have what they contributed

@briantheguydude The point is the likelihood of vesting it while sacrificing potential pay raise by switching? Unless it's instant vest or something as short as 1 year. But on average it's 3-5 years.

@carlosg You know how everyone talks about how it’s great that the market returns about 10% per year on average? This match is 2.5 times that and instantly applied. That is fantastic and should be focused on getting your full match.

Now is it awesome compared to some other matches? Not really. But not all 401ks even have a match, so it’s much better than any of those.

@carlosg Think of it this way. The contributions that come out of your paycheck they can not take away. They can only take away the match and only if you leave in less than two 2 years. So your money you put in is yours, and IF you don’t leave , you get a nice little extra package. And if you do, you didn’t really lose anything because your money that you put in, is always yours. There’s no reason not to take the chance at free money. Odds are, you will probably be there in 2 years anyway.