layla65

im new to Canada and the taxing is confusing.

I store away about 2000 a month into a TFSA account right which pays 0.8percent interest.

I also have the Wealthsimple cash account which pays out 4 percent but taxed.

Assuming iam consistent with the 2k saving for 12 month.. which is better?

@layla65 You are charged your marginal income tax rate on the interest earned. Depending on your total income, this case vary widely, but 30% is a good estimate for many people.

$2K at 4% yields $80 for the year; if we assume a 30% marginal rate, you would pay $24 in tax and keep the other $56.

$2K at 0.8% yields $16.

@layla65 Dude, EQ Bank's TFSA is 3% and their TSFA GIC's have been around 5% for a little while. A lot of other institutions are equally as competitive or more competitive than that.

A 0.8% return would be so negligible, for me at least, that I wouldn't even worry about sheltering it from the taxman.

@layla65 A TSFA is simply an account type, you can buy whatever you want inside it like ETFs and/or stocks.

Don’t let it sit doing nothing. Invest the money in something and actually take advantage of the tax free growth. Right now you’ve effectively just stuffed it under a mattress

@layla65 Is your TSFA with WealthSimple? You should just be able to click on the account and then inside of it there will be options to add funds or trade.

Click trade and search for the investment you want