“How a B.C. woman got stuck with a $4,000 bill after renting a pickup truck”

@chromosome16 They generally inspect rental returns in more detail in places outside the Americas

But don't need to buy high priced insurance from rental agencies, just read your cc coverage, it's not even hard to understand

I rented a MB c class estate from sixt in Portugal, didn't catch scratch on side of door, they billed 450 euros, my amex took care of it all, they let me choose if I want then to handle with rental agency or just reimburse me once the agency charges the card. I got credit within a few days after agency charged the card a month later

@brinn34 I've filed multiple claims where I didn't spend a dime. The CC (TD, but through Allianz insurance) paid the rental car company directly.

@brinn34 Nope...I claimed with Amex and capital one before. It's upto the rental place if they want to charge the card or deal with the credit cards insurers and I've done it both ways before

If choose reimbursement, obviously they need to have the damage charge appear on credit card before they reimburse few days later. Easy peasy

@chromosome16 I work for a rental company and we got one of our pickups back completely fucked. Don't know how it happened but the back of this thing was destroyed. The driver did not take the 18$ insurance we offer.

The pickup was totalled, and the customer has a 45k minimum bill to pay.

@thegateway2heaven Better than having something happen outside of your control and being on the hook for thousands of dollars. If you can’t afford it then you can take the risk.

With all the times I rented cars and got the insurance, that one accident hitting a coyote made it all worth it and still saved me money in the long run

@chromosome16 I rented said 29.95 truck week ago, it was ridiculously expensive vs 2 years ago . It seems there was some included mileage at that time. The mileage cost $40 plus the taxes plus the $40 gas to bring it past (I don't take that risk I go past what they include for gas ) $120 they billed $80 uhaul even though it came to 74 , plus my $40 gas I gave them (likely only used $25) , for 1 day! Before renting I called insurance corporation of British Columbia aka icbc they said it's covered under my own vehicles policy, because I'm roadstar. Truck rental was a joke def NOT the $29.99 as advertised . Got in zero accidents, haven't been in one for decades . No mishaps , saved $16+tax on that There needs to be a lower priced option than uhaul .

@chromosome16 Icbc the insurance company for the province of BC , said as long as it drives like a regular van , can be operated on a class 5 license truck or car and doesn't have air brakes and 12 gears like a commercial (class 1 drivers license) vehicle , it's covered for roadstar and roadstar+ customers anyone not at that level can buy @$15 per month , so that's $0.50 cents same coverage as my personal vehicles insurance policy

@chromosome16 TBH I have several CCs with the insurance feature but have seen it purely as scam or marketing trick and always gotten extra insurance.

I would only trust this after 3 lawyers had read the fine print and told me what actually is covered and even then you cant be sure since CC terms can be changed all the time.

@misst The thing is if you understand what is and is not covered, your credit card does pay and you will save tons. My workplace also explains this in great detail since we rent cars all the time, and are explicitly told to reject LDW/CDW. I have had three separate instances where credit card insurance covered damages to rental vehicles. One was in BC, rented a car for work with my work AMEX. Was rear ended. Dropped the car off and said here's the guy who rear ended me insurance, and opened a claim with AMEX. It was a resolved without me hearing about it. Sometime later I got a letter saying the claim was closed at $0, which I take means the rear enders insurance paid.

One was in AB, rented a car for personal use, scraped it against a wall since I'm an idiot. Opened a claim with my insurance, they paid and same thing, only heard about it to get a letter saying this was closed out. I don't recall how much insurance paid. I was only 21 when this happened and was a user on my dad's credit card. He basically told me what to do and even though I found it stressful, it was ultimately very easy.

The third and most recent was again driving for work in a rental, giant rock hits the windshield. This time I knew what to do and it was easy peasy.

Also why I don't drive my personal car for work... Knowing now what can happen the milage payment isn't worth it for me.

@misst MasterCard worked for me.

I rented a car in Germany through sixt (don’t use them) and months later they sent a bill for like 400 euros for a paint chip.

I just called MasterCard and they called sixt and then sixt sent a letter saying it was a mistake lol

@sean7717 I might have been lucky and they were just trying to pass the blame since it was so long ago.

Sixt basically just sent a letter saying I am not liable. I think they didn’t want to deal with MasterCard for a few hundred.

But good point. I usually get the extra insurance, especially driving around B.C., feels like I can’t go 100 km with a rock breaking the windshield