“How a B.C. woman got stuck with a $4,000 bill after renting a pickup truck”

@chromosome16 They generally inspect rental returns in more detail in places outside the Americas

But don't need to buy high priced insurance from rental agencies, just read your cc coverage, it's not even hard to understand

I rented a MB c class estate from sixt in Portugal, didn't catch scratch on side of door, they billed 450 euros, my amex took care of it all, they let me choose if I want then to handle with rental agency or just reimburse me once the agency charges the card. I got credit within a few days after agency charged the card a month later

@brinn34 Nope...I claimed with Amex and capital one before. It's upto the rental place if they want to charge the card or deal with the credit cards insurers and I've done it both ways before

If choose reimbursement, obviously they need to have the damage charge appear on credit card before they reimburse few days later. Easy peasy

@chromosome16 I work for a rental company and we got one of our pickups back completely fucked. Don't know how it happened but the back of this thing was destroyed. The driver did not take the 18$ insurance we offer.

The pickup was totalled, and the customer has a 45k minimum bill to pay.

@thegateway2heaven Better than having something happen outside of your control and being on the hook for thousands of dollars. If you can’t afford it then you can take the risk.

With all the times I rented cars and got the insurance, that one accident hitting a coyote made it all worth it and still saved me money in the long run