“Don’t tell the Credit Union it’s for a car!”

annointedb

So I’ll be looking at a new car in the next few months (single M with parents earning 32kpa gross, 5k loan getting paid off so there will be space for it). The advice I’ve got is to tell lenders “it’s NOT a motor loan.”, basically taking a “personal loan” instead because of supposed lower rates. I’m not comfortable with that advice but they assure me “everyone does it”. I’m not going to do it, but are they right? Is it as rife as TV licence “forgetting” & dodgy boxes or would I be seriously on the hook if I did this?

@peter1000 I went through An Post Money for a loan(Avant) recently for a new electric car.

I got offered their lowest rate for a personal loan, lower than a car loan or a green car loan. Spoke to them over the phone and they told me to take the personal loan 🤷‍♂️

@annointedb I'm sorry, but I don't think you can afford a new car at the moment. You still have a 5k loan (for what?). You need to pay that off ASAP.

You don't mention savings. Therefore, I assume you have none? You need to start saving ASAP, both on a regular and lump sum basis. Once you have 10k-15k saved, then you can look at buying a car in the 5k-10 price range if you still want one.

You never borrow for luxuries. You never lie when borrowing money.

@captainfarkus He's kinda right.
You may get the car, 2 months in have a major fault.
You'll be left with no transport, no way to earn and a big bill.

The adage goes, don't buy anything you can't afford to replace.

@captainfarkus Not a “new” new car i.e. out of the showroom. A budget of 5-7k, and I’m looking to clear the 5k debt first anyways. I was asking about the “don’t tell the Credit Union it’s for a car” advice. It feels dodgey and I’m not doing it. Am I right?

Also I see you don’t have ADHD. How nice for you.